Oyster Shell Recycling Program
Why Recycle Shells?
- Oyster reefs are needed in our sounds.
- Shells are used to build or restore oyster reefs.
- Baby oysters attach to reefs and grow more oysters.
New and Restored Oyster Reefs:
- Provide important habitat for fish, crabs, shrimp, and other seafood.
- Reduce sound side erosion.
- Clean our estuaries as more oysters filter the water.
Oyster Shell Drop-off Sites
All three federation offices:
New Hanover County/Wilmington:
- Seawater Lane (next to the UNCW Aquaculture Lab), Wrightsville Beach
- Bridge Barrier Road, Carolina Beach State Park
- Entrance to Airlie Gardens
- New Hanover County Landfill
- Atlantic Seafood Retail Market in Hampstead
- Hammocks Beach State Park in Swansboro (maintenance area)
- Morris Landing in Holly Ridge
- Onslow County Landfill
- Jockey’s Ridge State Park
- Kill Devil Hills Recycling Center
- The Nature Conservancy at Nags Head Woods
- Wanchese Marine Industrial Park