Win It Wednesday >
Every Wednesday through the end of September, the North Carolina Coastal Federation will be giving away five free t-shirts each week with the NC COAST logo that appears on the plate. You can like and share the video directly from this page or from the federation’s Facebook at facebook.com/nccoastalfed for the chance to win yours!
Did You Know — Your License Plate Protects Our Coast?
With funding from the license plate last year, the federation protected our coast all the way from Currituck to Brunswick County:
- Produced award-winning coverage through 500 stories on Coastal Review Online, our free, daily e-news service highlighting the coast’s most important issues and news.
- Restored over 200,000 oysters in 2016, and in 2017, completed construction of a 15-acre oyster sanctuary in the Pamlico Sound as part of the 50 Million Oyster Initiative.
- Installed 26 stormwater reduction measures, including techniques that used low-impact development (LID), that reduce stormwater runoff from development projects.
- Planted 18,450 wetland plants.
- Cleaned up 5,049 crab pots and more than 5.5 tons of marine debris with the help of commercial watermen during our Lost Fishing Gear Recovery Project.
- Worked with coastal communities to take a strong, coastwide stance against offshore oil drilling and seismic blasting in North Carolina’s waters.
- Worked with towns along the coast to develop watershed restoration plans that will reduce the volume of polluted runoff entering our coastal waters.
- Prevented 227,155 gallons of polluted stormwater runoff from entering coastal waters.
- Informed 10,745 people through education programs, workshops and presentations.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I have the old design, do I have to get the new one?
No. You can keep the plate with the old design. However, if you order a new plate, you will receive the new design.
If I already have a federation license plate, how do I update it to the new design?
The new design can be requested at any license plate agency or by mail. The plates are mailed from Raleigh. If it is time for you to renew your plate, you can ask for the same text or number you currently have on the new background at your renewal. If you choose to get the new plate at any other time, you will have to pay replacement plate fees.
Can you put the federation plate on all vehicles?
Specialized plates may be purchased for automobiles, trailers and trucks with weight up to 26,000 pounds. Unfortunately, because of plate size, they cannot be purchased for motorcycles.
Can I personalize my plate?
Yes you can, but it is not required. There will be four spaces available for personalization. There is an additional $30 charge for personalization. You may request your personalized plate at any time. If you wish to do so with this application, please remit a check for $60 and list your first three choices on the application.
Can I change my mind?
We hope you’ll always want to support the coast, but should you change your mind, you may go back to a regular license plate at any time.
How much does it cost each year?
- Standard NC license plate renewals cost $20 to $25 for the annual license fee (price varies from county to county).
- Specialty plates cost an additional $30 ($20 goes to the Coastal Federation and $10 supports state projects, including including highway beautification, handicapped accessibility and visitors centers).
- You can opt to personalize the plate for an additional $30 (Specialty plates have four spaces available — some of our favorites are TIDE, WAVE, FISH and NCCF).
How does purchasing a plate help the federation?
The federation will receive $20 per plate as a contribution, which will be used to support restoration, protection and education projects.
In addition to providing more than $100,000 a year for federation projects, our license plates provide about $50,000 annually to the State of North Carolina for important travel and tourism investments, including highway beautification, handicapped accessibility and visitors centers.
Will I receive updates from the federation once I get my plate?
No, unfortunately the federation does not receive any information from the DMV about the generous individuals who support the coast through a specialty plate. Please click here to let us know who you are and receive a complimentary 6-month membership, or click here to sign up for our monthly e-newsletter to keep up with coastal happenings, events and volunteer opportunities.