Oyster Shell Recycling Program
Why Recycle Shells?
- Oyster reefs are needed in our sounds.
- Shells are used to build or restore oyster reefs.
- Baby oysters attach to reefs and grow more oysters.
New and Restored Oyster Reefs:
- Provide important habitat for fish, crabs, shrimp, and other seafood.
- Reduce sound side erosion.
- Clean our estuaries as more oysters filter the water.
Shell recycling drop-off sites are located at the Coastal Federation’s three regional offices and in the following counties: Brunswick, Carteret, Craven, Dare, New Hanover, Onslow, Orange, Pamlico, and Pender. Explore the map below, or call us at (252)-393-8185 to find a shell recycling site near you.
New Hanover County/Wilmington:
- Seawater Lane (next to the UNCW Aquaculture Lab), Wrightsville Beach
- Bridge Barrier Road, Carolina Beach State Park
- New Hanover County Landfill