World Oceans Day Challenge 2020
May 8, 2020 @ 1:00 pm – June 1, 2020 @ 6:00 pm
While the ongoing pandemic has shown us how connected the whole world is, upcoming World Oceans Day is a pleasant reminder that there is something else that connects all of us. The ocean in all her majestic glory supports so much life including our own. To celebrate this year, the North Carolina Coastal Federation will be hosting World Oceans Day 2020 Challenge which features an art contest, written contest, and video contest. The winners of each challenge will be based on the material that best represents the goals and overall mission of the federation. The North Carolina Coastal Federation works to protect and restore coastal water quality and habitats throughout the North Carolina coast by collaborating with and engaging people from all walks of life who are committed to preserving the coast for current and future generations.
All ages are invited to participate in this challenge. Submissions must be emailed to email@example.com by 6 p.m. on June 1st, 2020. Winners will be announced on our Facebook page by 6 p.m. on June 8th. Participants can submit materials to as many categories as they please, but only one submission will be accepted per category.
Visual Art Submissions may include:Drawing & Illustration, painting, graphic design, photography, infographic, mixed media & collageAccepted file types: JPG, PNG, GIF, or PDF Incorporate one or multiple aspects of our goals and mission into your entry
Tell a story or express a message through a poem, prose, essay, or short story.Incorporate one or multiple aspects of our goals and mission into your entry. Accepted file types: Word documents (.doc or .docx) or PDF.
Video Contest Upload film to YouTube or Vimeo and provide the public URL Create a 3-minute max video in the style of a public service announcement that would educate and inspire people to take action on one or multiple topics listed below:
Offshore oil drilling: the waters off North Carolina should be off-limits to this destructive process, which poses too great a risk to our coastal economy and environment. Learn more about the threats of offshore oil drilling here.
Seismic Blasting: studies show that seismic affects the behaviors of marine mammals, fish and zooplankton and that seismic is harmful for fisheries. Learn more about the risks associated with seismic surveys here.
Terminal Groins: using hardened structures like terminal groins is costly, threatens to destroy critical habitat for fish, birds and sea turtles, restricts public access and may result in damage and erosion further down-drift from the groin. Learn more about terminal groins here.
Be sure to visit the Coastal Federation’s Coastal Management webpage to learn more about each of these issues, and if possible, try to include a ‘call to action’ in your video. Don’t hesitate to reach out to the federation’s Southeast Coastal Advocate, Kerri Allen, with any questions about the specific advocacy topics.
Official Rules and Guidelines
- No purchase necessary.
- The contests are open to all ages and all residents of North Carolina.
- Challenge begins 1 p.m. ET on May 8th, 2020.
- Entries must be received by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 p.m. ET on June 1st, 2020. Only 1 entry per category will be accepted, but contestants are eligible to submit entries to multiple categories.
- Winners will be announced on NC Coastal Federation’s Facebook by 6 p.m. ET on June 8th, 2020.
- Winners will be selected by a committee of NC Coastal Federation volunteers based on originality, creativity, substance, uniqueness and applicability.
- The winner in each category (3 total) will receive their chosen prize of either a short-sleeve federation logo t-shirt or baseball hat ($20 retail value each). The odds of winning will be determined by the number of entrants.
- Winners are responsible for any and all related taxes and other expenses related to claiming any of the prizes. Taxes (federal, state and local, and any foreign) and other obligations are solely the responsibility of the winners.
- All winners will be notified by email before they are announced publicly. In that email, winners will receive a form to fill out to receive their prize by mail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of prize following completion of notification process. Prizes will only be delivered to addresses within the United States.
- The North Carolina Coastal Federation reserves the right to use participants’ work for marketing and promotional purposes in any and all media.
- The Coastal Federation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of its activities or operations.
The North Carolina Coastal Federation, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in its programs or activities.